To yoga or not to yoga?

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Celeste

Re: To yoga or not to yoga?

Post by Celeste »

Well Julia, I have to say your block response was GREAT. You got your confirmation that it is indeed the PN causing your pain. Two hours is a nice window or relief. For what it's worth, it's VERY, VERY common for people who have had the pain numbed in the diagnostic block, to break into tears--even grown men. It's THAT emotional, to have both a break from the pain, and to finally know what you're dealing with. So, you most definitely have good company where your emotions are concerned.

With the steroid, you just have to take an attitude of wait and see. If it stops your pain, GREAT. If it doesn't stop you pain, then you know something else that doesn't work, and it makes it easy to cross that off the list and let the search continue.

Rest up, girl! Thanks for the update. I was thinking about you.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

I met with Dr. Peng, interventionist anaesthetist, today. I signed a consent to do (a) a course of therapeutic pudendal nerves blocks (assuming the first one is successful); and (b) an injection of steroid into the part of my left hip (the tendons of the gluteus minimus) where a recent MRI showed calcification. Dr. Peng explained that calcification is where an old injury has become irritated to such an extent that calcium crystals form around it, thus causing pain and inflammation. A steroid injection into the calcification can break apart the crystals.

He will do both injections at the same time, probably in January. He thought that he could fit me in before then but I am planning a trip to Florida for Christmas and I didn't want a potential flareup in pain to ruin my plans.

Julia, in answer to your question about surviving a trip to the Wasser Pain Clinic? I live downtown, so I take a fifteen-minute trip to the hospital by taxi. Easy, right? Then I sign in at the clinic. Then I disappear for an hour and I find a quiet place in the hospital to lie down. (The cafeteria on the main floor has banquettes.) After an hour I go back to the clinic, spread my coat on the floor, and lie down on it. The next time I go I think I'll bring an exercise mat to lie down on (more comfy and cleaner). Of course I feel a little self-conscious about lying on the floor but, hey, if you can't lay down on the floor of a pain clinic, where on earth else could you do it? (I also lie down on movie theatre floors, but under the cover of darkness.)

Sigh. The plight of the sore-bottomed. :cry:
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Ivery

Post by Ivery »

Yoga improves your flexibility
It helps to improve your balance.
Yoga can help reduce pain
It tones your muscles
It helps to increase your level of energy
hope4eva

Post by hope4eva »

i feel ur pain i have blood sugar issues and need to lose 15 pounds i will not take lyrica for fear of wt gain and told my docter its a no win situation when if i gain then im going to b depressed even if it helps the pain ! i think u should walk its probaly the safest and diet as well no more than 1200 calories daily
srinmav

Post by srinmav »

Ivery wrote:Yoga improves your flexibility
It helps to improve your balance.
Yoga can help reduce pain
It tones your muscles
It helps to increase your level of energy
Yoga is good for many health issues, but if you have entrapped nerves, then yoga (even if you do correctly) may aggravate them.
PN symptoms since 1988. Full blown PN and sciatica since 2004. Diagnosed with sacral arachnoid cyst S1-S4 in 2006.
2008- 2015: Conservative management of symptoms by reduced sitting, avoiding physical strain, meditation etc.
2015-Jun 2019 Bedridden due to pain, wasting and weakness.
Jul 2019- Trying to find my way out. Scheduled for likely sacral cyst and cervical meningocele surgeries in feb 2020.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”