Pudendal guy in California

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Violet M

Re: Pudendal guy in California

Post by Violet M »

zx14jack wrote:pain management is short for drug store.They suggest a drug or combo that i try.neurontin and something else each time.neurontin in its self works pretty good @ 2700mil per day but,adding nortriptline ,trazodone,or amtriptline all have side affects.I quit taking the add on drugs as the side affects arise and contact them.I am still having spazams or twitching all over ,starting after traz for 30 days then amtrip for 28 days.I would like to try 18oo neurontin and 10mil nortrip.They didnt seem impressed with my own ideas,so im moving on.I can tell my wife(hey watch my legs jump).Its not in my head.
Unfortunately, amitriptyline can cause dystonia. It's not in your head! Hopefully you can find something else that helps.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Violet,you listed that you are 80% cured-that's great. But, do you have any more burning since surgery with Dr. Bautrant? I'm still jumping through the hoops & will have an MRI done in Januyary by Potter & have an appointment with Doctor Hibner in February. Thanks for any advise.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Alan,

Just wondering why you're having a Potter MRI instead of Kalinkan, if you're seeing Hibner. Doesn't Kalinkan work with Hibner? Or is Potter closer to you? Did you ask Hibner's office whose MRI he would prefer? Thanks.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Alan

Post by Alan »

No, I thought Potter was the best in the country. At least that is what I am hearing. I did not know there was another option. I will contact Dr. Hibner's office. Thank you for the tip. (:
donstore

Post by donstore »

Alan,
Hibner's office suggests MRI from Potter or Kalinkin but I think Potter is the big dog here. She does 3T MRI and is worth the trip and the money in my opinion. Kalinkin doesn't seem to see as much as her for whatever reason (software, experience, uses 1.5T). So far all of Potter's readings have been validated at surgery as far as I know although there is stuff she doesn't see (Someone correct me here on this point if I am mistaken). You'll need some kind of imaging evidence to get insurance approval if Hibner is out of network. Potter is a full professor of radiology at the Cornell Weill Medical School and is the chairman of the MRI dept. at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. These are credentials that are harder to dismiss when you go to war with the insurance company to get your surgery.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thank you Don. I have scheduled an appointment for January. I was just checking to see if anyone was 'as good' as Potter or closer. Good luck with your upcoming visit with Dr. Hibner. I'm right behind you-mine is in February. Let us know what you find out.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Alan wrote:Violet,you listed that you are 80% cured-that's great. But, do you have any more burning since surgery with Dr. Bautrant? I'm still jumping through the hoops & will have an MRI done in Januyary by Potter & have an appointment with Doctor Hibner in February. Thanks for any advise.
Alan, I rarely have any burning. Lately I've been able to sit for many hours a day also. Maybe I need to revise that 80% number up a bit. :lol:

I think you are on the right track going for the MRI with Dr. Potter. It's a long wait, eh?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Yeah, it's been a long wait. But, no more than what every one else is or has gone through. I figure time will pass whether I do something or not-so just as well be proactive. This forum has been a blessing, as I would never have known what was causing my pain, or possible treatments. I am just jumping through the hoops as many of you have. Next week I see an interventional anesthesiologist(pain management) and then two weeks later I am being sent to L.A. to their top neurologist on Sunset Blvd. So will see what happens. But will still see Potter in New York unless I am miraculously cured by doctors in California. Rather doubtful about that...If nothing else, I have found that a good margarita on Friday evenings after a work week, helps immensely.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Alan wrote:If nothing else, I have found that a good margarita on Friday evenings after a work week, helps immensely.

:lol: Yes, I've known some other PNE friends who like their vino. :lol: Hey, at least it's one muscle relaxer that doesn't require a docs rx, right?
Quilter 2

Post by Quilter 2 »

Hi Alan;
I saw Dr. Potter in April. As of then, I was told she is the only one with this particular program she developed. A week later I saw Dr. Hibner and he told me that he and his hospital were trying to get the rights to use the program in Phoenix. You may want to give Dr. H a call and see if the deal has gone through yet. I'm suppose to have the surgery in Nov. with Dr. Conway. I chose him because of the distance. I live in Northern VT and it will be easier for me to get home and then back for follow ups.
Glad you found the site. I really think the people here can help you with decision making and just plain support when no one else seems to understand. I know its been a godsend for me.
My best;
Doreen
Five pudendal nerve infiltrations with good results.
Sixth Injection left me with more burning, more pain, pain in buttocks.
Botox shot didn't notice any difference
Physical Therapy - Aquatic and Myofascial
External and Internal Manual Therapy on the obturator muscle.
3T MRI with Dr. Potter
2nd opinion with Dr. Hibner in Phoenix
Loretta Robertson PT Phoenix
Decompression surgery Nov. 1, 2011

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”