Other cushions/kneeling chair

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Faith

Other cushions/kneeling chair

Post by Faith »

I really need to find a cushion so I can at least sit and eat a meal. Does anyone recommend other cushions than the IC or a slanted/wedge cushion. I have tried both without any relief. I have pain right at my "sit bones" which I think is coming from the obturator internus muscle. I am pretty skinny too which doesn't help :( I have also tried the "Backjoy" which doesn't help either. I have thought maybe I just need to buy a kneeling chair...anyone tried one?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Amanda

Re: Other cushions/kneeling chair

Post by Amanda »

Faith

i have a kneeling chair which is great and allows me to sit or perch for a little while, I do use a normal pillow under my butt, which helps too.
I have brought mine to many restaurants .......it has had strange looks but has allowed me to sit for a lot longer than on a normal chair.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

I have a kneeling chair which is in fact very nice on the pudendal, as it puts my weight onto the front of my thighs. My problem with it, which is why I never use it, is that it keeps my feet suspended in space, which drives me nuts because I have neuropathic itch in my toes and habitually rub them up against the bottoms of my shoes or the ground, for relief. Neuropathic itch is very rare though...however I saw you said you have some foot / leg issues, so you might want to go try a kneeling chair out for a few minutes at a store and make sure it does not bother your legs and feel, before purchase. I got mine from walmart online and it was a great bargain, really nice chair for under $100, but if I had tried one 1st in person, I never would have made the purchase. When I received it, it took me about 5 minutes to realize I had made a mistake.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Faith, I have a roho cushion (the contour select). It's a bit of a dinosaur to carry around and very expensive but it helps a lot and my insurance covered it at 100%.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Violet,

How does the roho cushion work? Do you take certain 'cells' out to make a cut out area for the pudendal nerve? How long does it allow you to sit for at a time?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Faith, no it does not allow you to take certain cells out. I think it has four different sections but only one port where you fill it so you can't really adjust which area fills the most. You can adjust it for firm or soft though and the one I have has a cut out in the tailbone area which has been a problem area for me.

I can sit for several hours at a time but if I sit all day every day I start to run into problems and keep in mind that this is post-surgery. Even with the cushion I could not have done that pre-surgery. I am lucky that my job does not require constant sitting all day -- it helps to be able to get up and walk around frequently.

If sitting on a toilet seat helps -- you may want to consider the toilet seat cushion Judith posted. I never really had relief from the toilet seat shape but each person is different.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”