Inpatient Pain Mangement Center

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
Mem

Inpatient Pain Mangement Center

Post by Mem »

Does anyone know of an inpatient pain management center in the US? DX: Interstitial Cystitis, Pudendal Neuralgia and now Fibromyalgia. Feel like I've tried everything to ease the pain and dysfunction and I am at the end of my rope. I want professionals to see around the clock what I am dealing with here. Hard to imagine this is it, especially in this day and age! Any suggestions?
HerMajesty

Re: Inpatient Pain Mangement Center

Post by HerMajesty »

Here's one at Johns Hopkins:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/psychiat ... tient.html

You might want to search for similar ones at Mayo Clinic or any reputable University Hospital in your area. Stay away from the private, free standing, spa-type clinics if you don't want to get ripped off.

Personally I would rather have one expert in the field of pelvic pain look at me, than a whole team of Doctors surrounding me round the clock, scratching their heads because I am their "interesting patient". An inpatient pain clinic might be good to get you onto an optimal med regimen, to keep you functioning while you find real help. But in the end to get to your underlying problem(s) and resolve the pathology, you will probably need to see an expert in the field on an outpatient basis (see the "find a Doctor" and "Find a PT" sections of this site). Because of the specialized testing and interventions you might need to undergo to get well, I would caution against accepting an implanted device such as a neurostimulator at a pain clinic. It might limit your ability to get proper diagnostics and treatment later. If an inpatient pain clinic can get you more comfortable and functional through noninvasive means, that would be great.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
kathyd

Re: Inpatient Pain Mangement Center

Post by kathyd »

Hi folks
anyone know of an inpatient chronic pain mgmnt center in NJ or New York City area
Mostly of the out patient center which I have been to, just don't know much about sitting pain/pelvic pain ...this is so rare
here in my area. You get that blank look when you describe your pain
I need this to get my pain under control, as I am going out of mind.
. hopefully someone here may know of a center.
My problem is that
I can't take some meds as they put my pelvic floor into spasm making it hard to urinate completely (one of my main problems anyway-- Pelvic flr dysfuntion. I am taking Nucynta but its not working for me..
If you'd like you can PM me as I have trouble finding the answers to my posts sometimes/
Thanks in advance everyone.
Kathy

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”