EMG Procedure

PNMLT, EMG, SSEP, and other Nerve function testing.
The different techniques, results and opinions.
DonnaOntario

EMG Procedure

Post by DonnaOntario »

Hi, I am new on this site. I've tried looking everywhere for an actual description and what to expect during an EMG test. I am having one done in Toronto next week and want to be prepared. Can anyone tell me how exactly it will work and what to expect? Pain? Duration of procedure? As a side note, I have used this site for so much information since being diagnosed, finally, with PNE. I am awaiting the date for actual procedure for nerve block. I have suffered for over 9 years, and finally have found some answers!
pianogal

Re: EMG Procedure

Post by pianogal »

Donna,
I've suffered almost 9 years as well. I am glad you finally found some companions in your pain... it's so much better to know you're not alone.

as to the emg, it is not too reliable... I had it done way back when... hope it proves to show some info for you. If not, the 3tesla MRI with Hollis Potter in NY is quite beneficial and proving to show more than most other tests do. Other 3Tesla Mri's don't match her results from her expertise... so if you get it done, go w/her.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
Pelvis Stressly

Post by Pelvis Stressly »

Hey Donna, welcome to the site.
DonnaOntario wrote:I am having one done in Toronto next week
You're having an EMG done of the pudendal nerve specifically? Curious where in Toronto you're having this done, if so. I searched high & low (literally every hospital in TO) a few years ago trying to find someone who could do exactly that, but had no luck finding anyone!

You're having the block done w. Dr. Peng?

Take care, PS.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Hey Donna,

Welcome to HOPE! I've never had the procedure done so I can't answer your questions. But I just wanted to let you know that this forum is always here for you. I'm glad you finally obtained a diagnosis.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
DonnaOntario

Post by DonnaOntario »

Hi PS
I am having this done at Mt. Sinai Hospital. I originally was able to meet with Dr. Gordon and have since been referred to Dr. Peng. I am having the first nerve block done,by Dr. Peng, but waiting for appt date. Because it is my first time with him he is doing procedure at Toronto Western Hospital. If you want to contact hospital it is the Wasser Pain Management Clinic. You have to go to a seminar before they will give you an appointment, but so far I have been very impressed with the clinic and doctors.
Pelvis Stressly

Post by Pelvis Stressly »

Thanks for the reply Donna.

I'm actually a long-time patient of both Drs. Gordon & Peng (have had 3 blocks now w. Peng & have been seeing Gordon for years). They're both great (although things tend to move fairly slowly w. both of them).

Just to clarify, you're having the EMG done w. Peng also? Because that's a new development if so (they never had that technology available before).
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

I just had my second EMG yesterday. The first one a couple of months ago he did on my legs (no idea why). They put electrodes on you and then had small shocks through them, uncomfortable but not painful. THEN they inserted needles and put through the electric shocks, that was very uncomfortable. Took a couple of hours for my leg muscles to relax after that.

Yesterday he (FINALLY) focused on the Pudendal Nerve. I will only be graphic for this site, I can not imagine sharing this with anyone else :shock: . He put electrodes in four areas (2 left and 2 right) above and below my anus. Then gave me the electrode to hold first on one side of my clitoris then on the other (not touching the clitoris) and sent electrical shocks through it. Again uncomfortable but bearable. THEN he put an electrode on his finger and went internally (vaginally) to shock the Pudendal Nerve. This I must say almost brought me to tears. It hurt, I felt like a slab of meat on the table (while looking for the right cords they left the door open to the room since no one else was around) and it was quite frankly miserable. Even the nurse watching was cringing for me. After that he inserted a needle under my anus into the buttocks with random shocks on both sides. This about sent me off the table. Finally we were done.

I don't mean to scare you but this is how it went for me yesterday. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and wasn't overly worried after the last one but this was not fun by a long shot. Results...abnormal reaction by the pudendal nerve (really little to no response which I find odd since I'm in so much pain). He said there is definitely something wrong with the pudendal nerve. He's calling it nueropothy not nueralgia right now.

If you have any other questions about the EMG let me know. I'll try to answer them.

Tracy
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Brave girl Tracy, I'm SO thankful I already have the diagnosis. Well done ! Thanks for letting us know what's involved.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Tracy, I'm so sorry -- you are brave to have given that description. I also had the EMG and have to agree with Tracy it was not fun but since she did such a good job of explaining it I will decline.

In some cases it can give valuable info -- at least in my case it did. You just have to keep reminding yourself that it will only be a few minutes and after all -- you are already in serious pain and it really isn't that much worse than what you experience every day anyway. You will be fine -- you will get through it. ;)
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

OMG, sounds like torture. I'm sorry too that you had to go through this, Tracy. Remind me please what the purpose of this procedure is???
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com

Return to “NEUROLOGICAL TESTING”