Should you have a hysterectomy for pelvic pain?

Published Reports and Medical Information
Useful links to PN related articles.
Violet M

Should you have a hysterectomy for pelvic pain?

Post by Violet M »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21508759

Obstet Gynecol. 2011 May;117(5):1175-8.
Role of hysterectomy in the treatment of chronic pelvic pain.
Lamvu G.
Source
From the Department of Advanced Minimally Invasive Surgery and Gynecology, Florida Hospital, Orlando, Florida.
Abstract
Chronic pelvic pain affects nearly 15% of women annually in the United States. It is associated with significant comorbidity, and annual costs to the health care system are estimated at approximately 2 billion dollars per year. The multifactorial nature of chronic pelvic pain makes it difficult to evaluate and treat. Therapies vary and may include surgical interventions such as hysterectomy. Although hysterectomy is an accepted treatment for chronic pelvic pain, it has important limitations that need to be discussed with the patient before surgery. Women can expect improvement in pain levels and function from their preoperative baseline. However, studies show that in the absence of any obvious pathology, 21-40% of women having a hysterectomy for chronic pelvic pain may continue to experience pain after the surgery and 5% may have new onset of pain. Women may experience improvements in mental health, physical function, social function, and dyspareunia; however, sexual frequency is not likely to change. Comorbidities such as preoperative depression may lower the chances of pain resolution after hysterectomy. Approximately 14% of women report having results worse than expected and almost 26% may have a slower recovery than expected. To maximize the chances of pain resolution, all women with chronic pelvic pain should undergo a full evaluation of the urologic, gastroenterologic, neurologic, and musculoskeletal organ systems before surgery to exclude nonreproductive causes of pain.

PMID: 21508759 [PubMed - in process]
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Amanda

Re: Should you have a hysterectomy for pelvic pain?

Post by Amanda »

Thanks Violet for printing this article.
Having developed Pudendal Nerve pain following a hysterectomy over 8 years ago, I thought that it would eliminate all my pelvic pain; I did have endo and fibroids so had clinical indications to justify the hysterectomy.....however now doctors are saying that this does not guarantee a removal of pelvic pain....maybe they are listening and learning by patients.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.

Return to “LIBRARY - PUBLICATIONS & MEDICAL JOURNALS”