Is your brain messed up?

Published Reports and Medical Information
Useful links to PN related articles.
Violet M

Is your brain messed up?

Post by Violet M »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21571326

J Urol. 2011 May 13. [Epub ahead of print]
Brain Functional and Anatomical Changes in Chronic Prostatitis/Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome.
Farmer MA, Chanda ML, Parks EL, Baliki MN, Apkarian AV, Schaeffer AJ.
Source
Department of Physiology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois.
Abstract
PURPOSE:
Research into the pathophysiology of chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome has primarily focused on markers of peripheral dysfunction. We present the first neuroimaging investigation to our knowledge to characterize brain function and anatomy in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:
We collected data from 19 male patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome, and 16 healthy age and gender matched controls. Functional magnetic resonance imaging data were obtained from 14 patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome as they rated spontaneous pain inside the scanner. Group differences (16 patients per group) in gray matter total volume and regional density were evaluated using voxel-based morphometry, and white matter integrity was studied with diffusion tensor imaging to measure fractional anisotropy. Functional and anatomical imaging outcomes were correlated with the clinical characteristics of chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome.

RESULTS:
Spontaneous pelvic pain was uniquely characterized by functional activation within the right anterior insula, which correlated with clinical pain intensity. No group differences were found in regional gray matter volume, yet density of gray matter in pain relevant regions (anterior insula and anterior cingulate cortices) positively correlated with pain intensity and extent of pain chronicity. Moreover the correlation between white matter anisotropy and neocortical gray matter volume was disrupted in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome.

CONCLUSIONS:
We provide novel evidence that the pain of chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome is associated with a chronic pelvic pain syndrome specific pattern of functional brain activation and brain anatomical reorganization. These findings necessitate further investigations into the role of central mechanisms in the initiation and maintenance of chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome.

Copyright © 2011 American Urological Association Education and Research, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

PMID: 21571326 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Amanda

Re: Is your brain messed up?

Post by Amanda »

I have to say that in my belief that anyone who withstands chronic pelvic pain and all the complications that it involves cannot avoid brain interferences.
To live with constant irritation of the bladder and bowel - functions which you cannot avoid ever has to affect the brain stimulation.
To live with the burning and aching in this region which never sleeps must intrude on the brain signals 24/7.
If only we could turn off those signals for a few hours...what bliss that would be!!!
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.

Return to “LIBRARY - PUBLICATIONS & MEDICAL JOURNALS”