Managing the First Week Post-op Alone

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
nyt

Managing the First Week Post-op Alone

Post by nyt »

I will be having pudendal surgery with Dr. Hibner in May. There is a possibility I may need to travel alone. Who has managed the first week post-op at the hotel alone? Any advice?
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Violet M

Re: Managing the First Week Post-op Alone

Post by Violet M »

It can be done because I know someone who was alone and managed but it was not a piece of cake. I'll send you a PM.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
RJR

Post by RJR »

Hello nyt,
Pls see my Surgery post entitled 1 Nov 10 with Dr Hibner - I was solo - lots of lessons learned there. Toughest part is wound care for both the incision and pain pump, but I found Dr Hibner's staff would always accommodate a quick bandage change. Stay close to the Hospital. Something that the hospital offered, that I did not use, was care once discharged. A social service POC will review your needs as you discharge.
RR
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

I went to Houston alone, but I didn't have the pain pump to bother with. I didn't think it was bad, but I relied heavily on my ice machine to keep the swelling down. I changed my own bandage; it wasn't hard to reach back and slap the new one on.

Best of luck; it can be done.
Last edited by Celeste on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Nyt,
I wish I could go with you for your surgery! I think you and RR are very brave for going at it alone. My best advise to you would to be arrange your hotel room so that EVERYTHING is easily accessable! Is room service available for meals? I know AZ is warm this time of year, but slip on slippers/sandals will also be helpful.
I wish you the very best next month. I really wish someone could go with you!
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
nyt

Post by nyt »

Thanks for all the advice. We are not sure if my husband will be able to go with me and he is quite worried if he can't what I should expect or what we should plan. Hopefully, we will know for sure in a couple of days whether he will go. I am hopeful he will be able to go, if not, others have done it can I.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Nyt,
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and saying prayers about your husband being able to go with you. I know others have done it, but I don't want you to be alone, if you can possibly help it!
Hugs,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming surgery. I am hoping it works out so that your husband or someone can go with you. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Robyn
VA-USA-6/03 Horseback Accident-Broke Pelvis at Pubic Ramis-Left
By 12/03 had ALL signs of PNE. HORRIBLE BURNING when sitting
24 doctors & image studies found nothing over 7 yrs
Found this site 10/10 At last I had HOPE
PN Block 9/10 ALL areas of burning numb for 24 HRS
2 more blocks-no lasting relief, but numbed all "burning" areas
Pulsed Radio Frequency 01/11 did nothing
Surgery 3/3/11 Dr Dellon Balto, MD - Greatly reduced pain right away. Currrently in post-op healing phase.
ezer

Post by ezer »

I had the TG surgery with Dr.Filler that is allegedly less invasive so it is not a 1 to 1 comparison. For what it is worth, I had help for a day and then I was on my own. It was not ideal but very manageable.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
RJR

Post by RJR »

nyt,
Get a handicap room at the hotel if at all possible - as the bathroom mods help greatly. I liked the Holiday Inn on Osborne...very reasonable with the St Jo's discount, and within walking distance too.
Take care,
RR
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”