Severed Pudendal Nerve

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Allie

Severed Pudendal Nerve

Post by Allie »

Hello all...I am new here, and SCARED TO DEATH.

I had my 3rd Pudendal Nerve Block TWO WEEKS AGO TODAY. I was injected with Marcaine and a Steroid. I went completely numb on both sides of my vagina, from the clitoris all the way back to the rectum. (Sorry to be so graphic.) SLOWLY, the right side became "unnumb". HOWEVER, my LEFT side REMAINS numb. And, now it hurts. I am unable to reach the Dr. who performed this block, as he is out sick today. He ASSURED me that it was "impossible" to severe the Pudendal Nerve by doing a nerve block. I am to the point where I am not believing him.

Does ANYONE know if it is POSSIBLE to SEVERE the Pudendal Nerve via a Nerve Block? I KNOW it is "just a needle", but I do NOT know how "thick" the nerve is, and, NO WAY am I still "numb" from the Marcaine. And why does it hurt?

I am BEGGING for help from ANYONE. I cannot, for the life of me, find ANY information on the Web about a "severed pudendal nerve." Only about "neurolgia" I don't think I have that...I think he severed the nerve, and, I am scared to death.

I had this procedure done as I have Interstitial Cystitis, and my Urologist was trying to "better" my situation. Right now, my quality of life is poor, and, this has made it worse.

Please answer and help me if you can...I would be FOREVER grateful.

~Allie
Celeste

Re: Severed Pudendal Nerve

Post by Celeste »

Steroids typically do cause a pain flare; it's NORMAL as well as TEMPORARY. I've been told it's because the material is crystalline in suspension and it is physically irritating to the nerve as it bathes it after the injection. However, some people do get a little relief from it.

The flare should last around 10 days, more or less. You really should have been told to expect a pain flare.

If you had a severed nerve, you would be incontinent both bladder and bowel. The PN controls both of those sphincter muscles.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
kat

Post by kat »

I have had numbness that comes and goes for years in the area you are speaking of. I don't know if you can sever a nerve, but numbness is something I've lived with so I know it can happen. When my pain would do up my body would eventually just go numb so I no longer felt pain. My genitals and thighs would go numb and I would fall over because my body just didn't respond correctly to my brain.

I freaked out for years so I know how terrified you and and I am so sorry I don't have medical answers for you. Just know that I share your fears and if you do figure out why you are numb please share and I will let you know if the docs. figure out why I'm numb also.

Good luck

Kathy
Born with pudendal and obtorator neuralgia. 32 years of being misdiagnosed.
Surgery with Conway 7/14/10. Internal burning cured!
Currently in PT for many pelvic floor issues due to having PN for so long.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Allie, I can understand your concern. It's scary when something doesn't go as expected and you have new symptoms to deal with.

I've never heard of a nerve being severed from a nerve block and having seen a cadaver pudendal nerve and the needle that's used for blocks I think it is highly unlikely if not impossible that your nerve was severed by the block. I've heard speculation that the needle can "nick" the nerve and cause irritation and increased pain but most people only have temporary problems after a block -- for about a month. Some people are highly sensitive to the steroids so that could be something else to consider.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

Allie,

I had an eerily similar experience with my first nerve block. Parts of my left side stayed numb (yet painful?) for weeks.

Although I still have some small areas of pain I attribute to the block, I have full sensation now.

My bet is you will slowly regain sensation over the next few weeks.

Hang in there.

Lauren
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.
Tiny Dancer

Post by Tiny Dancer »

Allie,

My nerve block was done with a CT scanner. But unfortunately, they only scanned me before the block, not when the needle was part way in and then scan again. They could have used an MRI the way they did it. I have had excruciatingly new pain and the PT that I saw said that they may have nicked the nerve.

The reason that I'm telling you this is that my pain increased greatly and it was NEW. I think probably that you are having a typical flare.

I agree with Violet. Severing the nerve would be very difficult with that needle and I believe that you would probably be totally incontinent with other very new symptoms.
Had PN since childbirth 1968
Had MRI,MRN,EMG,trigger point injections,3 steriod nerve blocks, pelvic plexus CT
Seeing Dr. Hibner Sept.29,2010
MEDS: Cymbalta 120mg, Elavil 25mg, Valium Suppositories, Fentanyl patch
Surgery w/ Dr. Hibner 3/14/11
Pain did not go away until I was given a steriod block to broken coccyx
Allie

Post by Allie »

Thanks to ALL who took the time to answer...means a lot to me.

Let me say, that I NEVER HAD ANY Pudendal Nerve Pain BEFORE my blocks. I have Interstitial Cystitis, which is an EXTREMELY RARE disease of the bladder. My Urologist ordered the Pudendal Nerve Blocks in an ATTEMPT to alleviate some of my urinary symptoms...he wanted to try to "relax" the Pelvic Floor and help the muscles of the bladder open up more, all of which are affected by the Pudendal Nerve.

I had 2 blocks done, and I had NO side effects. My LAST block, on 9/13 left me COMPLETELY numb on the left side of my vagina for two weeks, with pain beginning when first posted my message.

Does ANYONE know, IF HE DID IN FACT "HIT" the Nerve, if my PAIN will ever go away? I SUFFER SO MUCH with my Interstitial Cystitis...there is NO CURE, and VERY VERY FEW treatment options, ALL of which I have failed at. To KNOW I could POSSIBLY have yet ANOTHER "incurable, hard to treat" condition is just MORE than I can bear.

Thanks SO VERY MUCH in advance...I SO APPRECIATE ANYONE'S HELP...

~Allie
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

Hi Allie,

My theory is that my nerve was nicked on my left side during my block, thus causing all I mentioned above. Unfortunately, I still have areas of new pain that I did not have before my blocks. I'm not disabled by these new areas, but they do exist. I had a really rough few weeks after the injections, but the numbness did eventually go away, and the pain decreased to a more tolerable level.

Nerves take a long time to heal, and no one can say if your new pain is permanent or not. I am so very sorry you're going through this. Please know that I am not a medical professional, and my thoughts are simply that--just my thoughts.

Lauren
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

I got some new pain as a result of an unguided injection. It was relieved by surgery, though it took almost a year for it to all melt away. The original and strongest pain went away quickly.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Allie, if the nerve was nicked, peripheral nerves do heal so there is a good chance it will heal but it takes time. In the meantime it might be important to use ice and pain medications so your brain and spinal cord to not get into a "cycle of pain" that is hard to break.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”