Money, periods, thanks.

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
hoping

Money, periods, thanks.

Post by hoping »

I get the no underwear, baggy pants thing, but what about during my cycle? I normally wore cotton pads, but they are too painful now. Any ingenious devices?

Thank you so much. This forum has been really helpful in helping me figure out driving, sitting, lifestyle changes.
Last edited by hoping on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celeste

Re: Money, periods, thanks.

Post by Celeste »

If you can handle any kind of insertion, you could use a Diva Cup. They're soft rubber. Some women go on hormonal birth control to prevent a cycle. Some of the IUDs have hormones and will stop bleeding in many women.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Faith

Post by Faith »

Paying out of pocket...like no insurance?

Were you wearing cotton cloth menstrual pads or organic/chlorine free disposable? You might want to try that. Some of the chemicals in the disposable ones are what is irritating.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hoping,

The cost depends on what country and which doctor or treatment you choose. If you end up going for surgery you will find it's much cheaper in France than in the US.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

So, I understand you don't have insurance however the best thing I've done to help my situation was get the DepoPrevara shot. I was chatting with my DO about possibly going on the pill to ease my cycle and he suggested the shot so that my period would completely stop. I never realized it did that. The shot lasts three months and I just got my second one. I LOVE IT!!! Is there a Planned Parenthood or something like that around that you could check with on reduced cost for birth control to just ease your cycle?
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(
hoping

Post by hoping »

It seems sadly ironic to go on birth control now that I can't have sex. Insertion is currently not an option. I used to use organic cotton pads before I got injured, but now they irritate the nerve.

Thank you for the feedback, and I will keep looking.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

hoping wrote:It seems sadly ironic to go on birth control now that I can't have sex. Insertion is currently not an option. I used to use organic cotton pads before I got injured, but now they irritate the nerve.

Thank you for the feedback, and I will keep looking.
Ironic or not, hormonal menstrual suppression may be really helpful if it chips away at your pain level. Many women use it for lots of medical reasons. Don't paint yourself into a corner thinking of it as birth control. Hang in there!
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

I use both reusable cloth pads and organic disposable ones. Some of the cloth pads vendors make underwear designed for use during the period. They are extra absorbent, apparently. I don't have first hand experience. Glad rags and lunaPads are two vendors you could google.
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”