hypnosis / hypnotherapy

Accupuncture, Reiki, Cognitive Behavourial Therapy, Prolotheraphy, Radio Frequency, Hypnotherapy, Osteopathy and many more.
Violet M

Re: hypnosis / hypnotherapy

Post by Violet M »

calluna wrote:
There really is no 'mind control'.

I am not surprised that your chiro's 'talking down' had no effect - you were not comfortable with what he was doing, for a start.

And the only person who is not a good candidate for hypnosis is someone who is mentally handicapped or drunk. The more intelligent the person, the better subject they will make.

HerMajesty wrote:Is the "talking down" of the autonomic nervous system considered a kind of hypnosis?
Yes, very definitely.:
When the chiro was "talking down" my autonomic nervous system he said a string of nonsense words in a monotone voice so, yes, I guess it does sound like a kind of hypnosis. Hmmmm.....now I'm wondering since it didn't work does that mean I am mentally handicapped, (certainly wasn't drunk), or just plain unintelligent. :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
calluna

Post by calluna »

None of those, Violet! :lol:

It didn't work because you didn't co-operate. You can't hypnotise someone against their will. It isn't 'control', remember.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Well I got my appointment with an experienced Medical hypnotherapist for Thursday, St. Patti's day. She's waaaaaay on the opposite side of town from me but i liked her frankness with me on the phone and her resume. She said it would only take 1 - 3 visits (1 - 2 weeks apart) for me to know if it was going to be beneficial to me; and that the goal was not dependence on her but for me to learn to put myself into the same state. It's $100 per session.

The only thing I was iffy about, was that she said that what I underwent at that party was called verbal hypnosis and while she will tailor sessions to my needs, she is not trained in verbal hypnosis but does more of relaxation / meditation type stuff. So i am not sure if we are the best fit in that way. But I am going to try and see!
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Best wished with your appointment, HM!
Can't wait to hear how it goes!!! :)
Love,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

I was impressed with the hypnotist and am certainly hypnotizable: I lost a big chunk of time in there someplace. The method used to get me into that state was guided imagery and she was great at getting background data about my personality, to use imagery I would react well to. I felt great for a few minutes afterwards, sitting in her office, but after I left started to kind of flare (not blaming her, I spent pretty much the whole rest of today in the car).
Prior to the session one thing she asked me is, what part of me felt really good? I said my shoulders, since they never bother me at all and I take them for granted and barely notice them. Saying my shoulders I think was a mistake. Because after she talked me down into this trance, when I started to come up out of it she ran her finger over my forehead and told me when I am focused on a negative body sensation, instead touch my forehead like she had, and it will be a reminder to focus on my shoulders, how relaxed and good they feel, instead of on the discomfort.
Well apparently I am not a natural at this technique. It worked when she did it but has not worked once when I do it to myself. For one thing, the 1st thing my brain does when I touch my forehead is check and see if that made any difference which focuses me right where I am not supposed to be focusing. Second, I should not have said shoulders because I take them very for granted and really can't focus on them I guess I was wrong to say they feel good because they really just feel neutral. If it was my mouth , I could press my lips together or run my tongue over them or something but focusing on shoulders just does not do it for me. Lastly, touching oneself just does not feel the same as somebody else touching you. so I could really only mimic the same sensation by running a water bottle top or the butt end of a pen over my forehead, not my finger.
So I kind of thought this through: What if the suggestion was to touch my chin with a pen or other handy object, which is less socially weird than doing the same to my forehead, and what if I could focus on my mouth which can actually move around and feel stuff unlike shoulders. I was thinking about this in the car and playing around with a pen on my chin and next thing I knew I had lost more time and missed my turn...maybe not the best driving excercise!
But I want to go back for another session because I feel like maybe it could be fine - tuned to work for me.
Obviously the more common stuff she does is the commercal stuff, smoking cessation and weight loss. So since I have "grown" a lot with the disability and pills, I asked her to work on weight loss too. So she gave me some "suggestions" about food. That, and we made it a specific goal that I last through the entire church service this Sunday without having to go to the restroom once...that is a measurable goal because after the singing when we sit for the service I ALWAYS run out to the ladies' room and apply topical capsacin which gets me through the upcoming hour of sitting. So I will get in touch with her next week and let her know if I made it through church comfortably (doubt it based on current condition), and if I lost any weight (I should at least get that, c'mon now!).
Regardless I think I will do one more because I get the impression that if we work together we can fine tune the process. So that's where I'm at, not a glowing endorsement but I think it might have some merit and will stick with it a little bit.
Calluna I am interested on your commentary on the method used and your impressions in general.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Hi HM - that went well, didn't it! So glad! :D

Just a few thoughts then. It is so good that you like the therapist, this is really important. She sounds as if she is doing plenty of sensible stuff there, what is needed now is some feedback from you at the next session. And her technique is all good. Any information you can give her - for instance the thing about touching with a pen rather than a finger - that will all help.

The time loss is totally normal. Don't worry about the flare afterwards, you were driving, and lying/sitting still, and then more driving....

Checking to see if the touching has any effect - yup, that happens. Keeping the focus where it needs to be is very hard to do, I know, it is a bit like telling someone not to think about a white elephant, it is immediately the first thing they think of. But it will come with practice. Say to yourself that the shoulders (or your mouth, or your nose, or your chin or elbow or whatever you choose) are what matters, maybe, whilst you are doing the touch?

Weight loss suggestion does work very well , but it is not a magic wand! It can be very helpful indeed for a quick push in the right direction though.

(I would do this occasionally for clients when they requested it, many therapists do it a lot. Usually I would prefer to approach this through analysis - the vast majority of my work was analytical, dealing with phobias, depression, and underlying anxieties (almost always weight issues are linked with other things) although I did do the single session stop smoking as well, plus tailored single session suggestion for other things like stage fright or nailbiting.)

So my impressions in general - methods are absolutely fine, and I think you have found a therapist who will be able to help you.
JasmineJAnderson

Post by JasmineJAnderson »

I have tried some hypnotherapy just to quit smoking and it works like a miracle!

Return to “OTHER THERAPIES”